- Community of Residence: Needham
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.naomiribner.com
- Phone: 781-956-1735
- Artist Biography: I have been a member of TBZ since 2003. I came to Boston to study art at the Museum School where I earned my master of Fine Arts degree in printmaking. For many years I exhibited my mixed media art around the world in galleries, museums and at digital art conferences, and taught drawing, design and digital art at Wellesley College and Holy Cross. I was also a fellowship recipient from the New England Foundation for the Arts. For a list of exhibitions please visit my website at http://www.naomiribner.com/Art/artexhibits.html
- Artist Statement:The Ghost Town series was inspired by my travel through ghost town ruins in several western states. I was particularly interested in the power of places and artifacts to tell the stories of people who may have passed through. These works also explore memory and the passage of time. Peeling wallpaper, which appears throughout, is a metaphor for digging through layers of time and memory. The peeling wallpaper in these images reveals an underlying layer of newspaper, typically used for insulation 100 years ago, the headlines of last century still readable. My working process also bears reference to the peeling wallpaper: a layering of collagraphs and collages, inkjet prints and a top layer of charcoal and pastel drawing. They are constructed within the 3-dimensional space of a deep wooden box with hinged glass lid and padlock. In these works, the artifacts are preserved, along with the memories they evoke.